Current:Home > NewsDrake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool' -Infinite Edge Learning
Drake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool'
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 02:16:36
Drake Bell has been overwhelmed by the reactions to him telling his story in the documentary series "Quiet on Set."
The "Drake and Josh" actor said he was "still reeling" from the response after opening up about the sexual abuse he faced as a child, he revealed during a panel at an Emmys For Your Consideration event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
"Having to tell this sensitive of a story, something I held inside for so many years," said Bell, 37, according to Deadline and People. "I'm still reeling from the idea of bearing my soul to the world."
Bell said he was partly inspired to speak up now because he hadn't seen anything written about former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck, 63, who was convicted in 2004 of lewd acts with a minor, revealed in the documentary to be then-15-year-old Bell.
"It was nowhere," the "Amanda Show" actor said. "I was so perplexed by that. This is the response that I feel should have happened so many years ago, the reaction that everybody is having now. This needs to change."
Bell said people have come up to him and sharing they now have the bravery to speak up, and call for laws to be changed.
"Hollywood is a beautiful place, full of fantasy and imagination and fun. But it's also a completely dark cesspool of disgusting waste," he said. "I'm hoping that we see shifts and changes inside the industry that are needed."
Bell appeared on the panel alongside "All That" stars Giovonnie Samuels and Bryan Hearne, who also speak out in the documentary, and filmmakers Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz.
Bryan Hearne defends parents of child stars, says he and mom are 'really good'
Samuels and Hearne appeared in "Quiet on Set" and discussed their experiences on the sketch show. The documentary series exposed several claims against the Nickelodeon series creator, Dan Schneider, of misogyny, racism and creating toxic work environments.
Hearne also defended the parents of child stars, saying they can only "do so much."
"I don't think it's on the parents," Hearne, 35, said. "I think that it's important that there are people on set … who are tasked to give care and caretake to the emotions of the children on set. That's the most important thing."
'Quiet on Set' new episode:Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
The "Hardball" actor also addressed speculation about the state of his relationship with his mother, Tracey Brown, who also appears in the series to discuss her experience as a parent on set.
In the latest episode of the series, Hearne participated in an emotional discussion with his mother, and the two said the documentary helped repair their fractured relationship.
"I (want to) clear something up about the narrative about whether or not I've been in touch with my mom since then," Hearne said, according to Deadline. "I didn't leave 'All That' and my mom. We have had a tumultuous relationship. We're on again, off again ... Right now, we're on again, and it feels permanent, and that's really good."
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (5461)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- California’s Relentless Droughts Strain Farming Towns
- Indian authorities accuse the BBC of tax evasion after raiding their offices
- Latto Shares Why She Hired a Trainer to Maintain Her BBL and Liposuction Surgeries
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Rep. Ayanna Pressley on student loans, the Supreme Court and Biden's reelection - The Takeout
- The ripple effects of Russia's war in Ukraine continue to change the world
- Kim Kardashian and Hailey Bieber Reveal If They’ve Joined Mile High Club
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Senators are calling on the Justice Department to look into Ticketmaster's practices
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 13 Refineries Emit Dangerous Benzene Emissions That Exceed the EPA’s ‘Action Level,’ a Study Finds
- Nearly 30 women are suing Olaplex, alleging products caused hair loss
- Search continues for nursing student who vanished after calling 911 to report child on side of Alabama freeway
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Titanic Sub Catastrophe: Passenger’s Sister Says She Would Not Have Gone on Board
- A Chinese Chemical Company Captures and Reuses 6,000 Tons of a Super-Polluting Greenhouse Gas
- World Meteorological Organization Sharpens Warnings About Both Too Much and Too Little Water
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
A Single Chemical Plant in Louisville Emits a Super-Pollutant That Does More Climate Damage Than Every Car in the City
Soccer Star Neymar Pens Public Apology to Pregnant Girlfriend Bruna Biancardi for His “Mistakes
DWTS’ Peta Murgatroyd and Maks Chmerkovskiy Share Baby Boy’s Name and First Photo
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Without ‘Transformative Adaptation’ Climate Change May Threaten the Survival of Millions of Small Scale Farmers
You'll Unconditionally Love Katy Perry's Latest Hair Transformation
The NHL and Chemours Are Spreading ‘Dangerous Misinformation’ About Ice-Rink Refrigerants, a New Report Says